Made a dress for Coco with 4 pieces of fabric using this pattern and then added my own spin on it.
Doesn’t she look like a cheerleader?
Here’s what you will need:
- Two #1. I used 2 different colored fabrics, one for each side.
- Two #2 in white stretchy fabric
- One rectangular strip in red for the neckline
- One strip of elastic that fits around your dog’s neck AND isn’t tight
- One strip of ribbon to connect the #1s in the middle (down the back). This step is optional to create a 2-colored back. You can fold the fabric over to create one large #1 that you unfold to use.
- Lace to go round the bottom
Here’s what you need to do:
- Using a zigzag stitch, connect the two #1s with the ribbon.
- Connect the #2 to #1 to create arm holes. Be sure to connect A to A and B to B.
- Now to create the collar. Fold the rectangular strip over widthwise and sew along the short edge. Open up the band and fold it lengthwise to create a tube. Sew the long edge, leaving an opening to insert a strip of elastic. Sew up the opening once the elastic has been pulled through. You can use a safety pin to help pull your elastic through.
- Sew the collar to the top of the outfit. Be sure to stretch the elastic.
- Fold over all raw edges (sides, armholes) twice and zig zag stitch to create a finished hem. You don’t have to finish knit because it doesn’t fray but i think it looks better.
- Where it shows “C,” you can add velcro but i opted to sew it shut this time
- Try the outfit on your dog and make the necessary adjustments. I had to remove some from where i connected the two #2s.
- Sew lace to the bottom of the outfit. Be sure to stretch the fabric so the lace gathers a little. I did some topstitching on the right side of the lace so that it would lay flat.
- You’re done!
Photos of the outfit
More photos of Coco in her new dress. 🙂
Share photos of your dog outfits if you decide to make some too. 🙂